Where are Region 6’s 100 freed convicts? 15-day Duterte surrender ultimatum ends today

first_imgThe 44 convicts who surrenderedwere from Aklan (10), Antique (three), Capiz (six), Iloilo province (14),Negros Occidental (seven), Iloilo City (three), and Bacolod City (one). “If they put up a fight, they could bekilled. We also want to protect ourselves, ‘Yanang ibig sabihin ng ating Presidente na shoot to kill,” he said. “By tomorrow, these 100 freed convictswould be deemed fugitives. We will start hunting them,” said Pamuspusan. ILOILO City – Today is the last daythe 15-day surrender ultimatum issued by President Rodrigo Duterte to convictsfreed due to the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) Law. Of the 144 freed convicts from WesternVisayas, only 44 surfaced as of this writing yesterday. The President is offering a P1-millionreward for the arrest of all freed convicts who fail to surrender within his15-day surrender ultimatum period. Police Brigadier General RenePamuspusan, regional police director, said these 100 freed convicts have until5 p.m. today to yield. But it later clarified that five ofthe 149 were actually under parole and probation./PN Pamuspusan warned the 100 stillunaccounted freed convicts not to resist arrest. The GCTA Law has come under scrutinyafter the Department of Justice announced that convicted rapist-killer AntonioSanchez, former mayor of Calauan, Laguna, might be released from prison becauseof supposed good behavior. An alarmed President Duterte ordered those alreadyreleased to surrender for a review their time served in prison. The 100 remained unaccounted. ThePolice Regional Office 6 (PRO-6) created tracker teams to locate them. Last week the PRO-6 said a total of149 convicts from Western Visayas have been released by the Bureau ofCorrections since 2013 in line with the GCTA Law. Police Brigadier General Rene Pamuspusan. PN FILE last_img

Read More →

Batad woman found dead

first_imgVilches’ lifeless body was discovered floatingin the sea around 9 a.m. on Sept. 21, it added.   She was 37-year-old Nelissa Vilches ofBarangay Salong, Batad, Iloilo, a police report showed. Officers of the municipal police station wereinvestigating the incident./PNcenter_img ILOILO City – A woman, who was believed tohave drowned, was found dead in Loguingot Island, Estancia, Iloilo. last_img

Read More →

Girl, 13, killed in road crash

first_imgILOILO City – Crossing the road turnsfatal for a Grade 8 student in Barangay Cahaguikican, Pototan, Iloilo. The 13-year-old Nikka Grace Alianza of BarangayAgmanaphao, Mina, Iloilo was killed in a road crash, a police report showed. Municipal police station chief CaptainRonnie Brillo said the victim – student of West Visayas State University in LaPaz district – was crossing the road around 7:15 p.m. on Oct. 4 when a van hither, the report added. The driver of the truck – 35-year-oldAdonis David Benedicto of Barangay Purok 4, Pavia, Iloilo – was detained in thePototan municipal police station, facing charges./PN Alianza sustained in juries on the headand body. She died on the spot. last_img

Read More →

Women protest against domestic violence in Paris

first_imgSandrine Bouchait, who heads avictims’ association and whose sister was burned to death in 2017 by herpartner in front of her seven year-old daughter, said the death toll wasunacceptable.(Reuters) PARIS – Hundreds of women took part inthe so-called “die-in” protests in central Paris, hoping to draw attention todomestic violence against women. People stage a “die-in” at Place de la Republique during a demonstration against domestic violence in Paris, France on Oct. 19. REUTERS/BENOIT TESSIER Over 120 women were believed to havebeen killed as a direct result of domestic violence in France so far this year,according to local associations.  Demonstrators on Saturday held upsigns with the names of French victims and fell to the ground.last_img

Read More →

With pending franchise bill, ABS-CBN can still operate until June 2022

first_imgA media crew cab enters the ABS-CBN Broadcasting Center, the office of the country’s top broadcast network, following a move by the Philippine government to scrap its franchises, in Quezon City, Feb. 10, 2020. Reuters “ABS-CBN may actually continue tolegally operate under its existing franchise until the end of 18th Congress oruntil that franchise is formally terminated,” he added. “We are not delayingit. We have enough time. We are proceeding steadily but cautiously, given thehighly-charged atmosphere.” House legislative franchise committeevice chairman Isabela Representative Tonypet Albano said that the network cancontinue its operation since there are pending bills for the extension of itslegislative franchise. There are 11 bills seeking for therenewal of the ABS-CBN franchise for another 25 years which remain pending atthe committee since they were filed in August 2019. MANILA – A House of Representativesleader has claimed that broadcasting network ABS-CBN may continue to operateuntil June 30, 2022, despite the expiration of its franchise on March thisyear. “We want to allay the fears of thepublic and the [ABS-CBN] employees, ABS-CBN will not cease to exist unlessCongress acts on it,” Albano said in a press conference on Wednesday. Albano also said that the ABS-CBN canalso seek provisional authority before the National TelecommunicationsCommission (NTC) as a remedy. “There is a provisional authority thatcan be secured from NTC, since ABS-CBN is using public airwaves,” Albano said. The Office of Solicitor General hasfiled a quo warranto petition seeking to revoke ABS CBN’s legislate franchisedue to alleged foreign ownership and bypassing of authority of the NTC. TheABS-CBN has maintained that it has not violated any law./PNlast_img

Read More →

River yields dead body

first_imgPersonnel ofthe Sibalom Minicipal Risk Reduction and Management Office, residents and somelocal contractors, who lent their heavy equipment, successfully retrievedAlpas’ body around 8:45 p.m. of the same date, it added.Officers of the Sibalom municipal police station ruled out foul play in theincident./PN Blas Alpas Jr.was believed to have drowned in the river near his residence in BarangayBongbongan 2, Sibalom on Feb. 22, a police report showed. According topolice investigators, the victim’s body was found by a resident around 1 p.m.on March 14.center_img SAN JOSE,Antique – Already in the state of decomposition, a man was found floating inthe Sibalom River in Barangay Solong, Sibalom, Antique .last_img

Read More →

NegOcc readies P31-M rice aid for quarantine-affected residents

first_imgThe province has 19 municipalities and12 cities, excluding Bacolod. Each local government unit (LGUs) will receive P1million in rice aid. On Thursday, Lacson issued ExecutiveOrder No. 20-20, placing Negros Occidental under ECQ for 14 days. Trucks from various localities have beentransporting sacks of rice from the NFA warehouse in Bacolod since Friday. “Instead of cash, the local chiefexecutives opted to receive the P1 million in the form of rice subsidy. This isan additional support of the province to the LGUs, which have their ownprovisions for their constituents,” she said in a press conference. Charina Magallanes-Tan, executiveassistant to Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson, said the rice purchased from theNational Food Authority (NFA) has been released to the LGUs starting Friday. Provision for food and essential healthservices shall also be regulated and there will be a heightened presence ofuniformed personnel to enforce quarantine procedures.center_img BACOLOD City – The provincial government of Negros Occidental has allocateda P31-million rice subsidy for the province’s 31 towns and cities during theenhanced community quarantine (ECQ) which will start on Monday. For 14 days, a strict home quarantineshall be observed in all households in Negros Occidental and movement shall belimited to accessing basic necessities. The ECQ, to be implemented as aprecaution against the spread or local transmission of the coronavirus disease2019 (COVID-19), will start at 12:01 a.m. on March 30 and end at 11:59 p.m. onApril 14. The provincial government will deviseand implement a scheme to deliver food packs to vulnerable municipalities andcities, and a point-to-point transport plan to deliver its employees and healthcare workers to and from their workplace. (Witha report from PNA/PN)last_img

Read More →

2 OFWs positive for COVID-19

first_imgILOILO City – Two more overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) yesterday, bringing to 38 the number of Western Visayas’ repatriates with the illness. This also raised to 117 the total number of cases in the region. Here’s the breakdown of the 38 COVID-19-positive OFWs: Patient No. 116 worked at a cruise ship in the United States. On April 4 he disembarked from the ship in Miami, Florida and was admitted at a community hospital there. He had fever. His test there confirmed he had COVID-19. * Iloilo province – six Both were asymptomatic and currently undergoing quarantine, according to Dr. Jessie Glen Alonsabe, epidemiologist of the Department of Health (DOH) Region 6. These droplets also land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. * Aklan – two As to the region’s total 177 cases (10 already recovered while 10 died), they were from Aklan (six), Antique (14), Capiz (six), Guimaras (zero), Iloilo province (21), Negros Occidental (three), Bacolod City (10), Iloilo City (19), and repatriates (38). The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. On May 18 he was allowed to return to Bacolod City via a ship that transported stranded Western Visayan OFWs back to the region. Alonsabe urged the public to continue observing physical distancing, hand-washing and the wearing of facemask to prevent the spread of COVID-19. * Antique – four Right upon arrival in Metro Manila, he was tested again. He was COVID-negative. She flew back to Iloilo on May 28 via a sweeper flight from Metro Manila. She was tested positive for COVID-19 here.center_img On May 10 while still stranded in the nation’s capital, he was tested again. He got another negative result. On April 20 he was tested again. This time he was COVID-negative already so he was allowed to return to the Philippines on May 1. * Negros Occidental – seven * Bacolod City – five After eight days, on May 26, he was tested again. This time he turned positive again for COVID-19. * Iloilo City – 11 COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China in December 2019. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. On the other hand, Patient No. 117, a factory worker, returned to the Philippines from Taiwan on May 19. The two repatriated OFWs were a 38-year-old male from Bacolod City (Patient No. 116) and a 33-year-old female from Janiuay, Iloilo (Patient No. 117). * Guimaras – three 2 OFWs positive for COVID-19Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell./PNlast_img

Read More →

5 persons arrested for ‘illegal gambling’

first_imgThe suspects were caught playing “bingo” around 6 p.m. on July 12, police said. Police identified them as residents Emelynda Fanugon, 67; Isari Talla, 47; Elmer Barodilla, 23; Emily Ceriaco, 35; and Aventh Talla, 26. ILOILO City – Five persons were nabbed for illegal gambling in Barangay Consolacion, Dumalag, Capiz. Recovered from their possession were bingo cards and bet money which amounted to P67. They were brought to the Dumalag municipal police station, facing charges for violation of Presidential Decree 1602, which prescribes stiffer penalties on illegal gambling./PNlast_img

Read More →

Fish Available For Purchase In Franklin County

first_imgThe Franklin County Soil & Water Conservation District is hosting a Fall Fish Sale.Residents can purchase Bass, Bluegill, Hybrid Bluegill, Redear Sunfish, Channel and Albino Catfish, minnows and more. The fish were bought from the Indiana Fish Hatchery.The deadline for ordering fish is Friday, November 1 by 4:00 p.m. The fish sale will take place November 8 at 10:00 a.m.Order forms are available online at the Franklin County SWCD Website.Interested residents can also receive an order form from the office at 10165 Oxford Pike in Brookville, or by phone at (765) 647-2651 ext. 3.last_img

Read More →